Wednesday, October 20, 2010

We Watched a Sunset - and Then Ate Meatballs

Sometimes I start to take sunsets for granted, and living just steps from Mobile Bay, I have no excuse.  God shows up whether I do or not, and every night something magical happens when the sun slips out of sight on the horizon.  From the western exposure of my kitchen window, I get a sneak peek at what God has in store about one half hour before the main event.  I am usually in the kitchen that time of day either putting the finishing touches on supper, or if my culinary time management is operating per usual, just starting to pull together the evening meal.  These days I generally acknowledge the approaching sunset with a smile and nod to God as I see the sun begin to sink over the tree line.  When we first moved here, we planned our evening AROUND the sunset and rarely missed one.  But then we began to get complacent, doing what people do, telling ourselves there will be another opportunity tomorrow.

Seems to me I do the same thing with relationships every time I fail to make them a priority.  It is so easy to get caught up in the tyranny of the urgent--or so we tell ourselves.  How urgent are the things that distract us?  How much juggling does it really take to make time for the people we love, to tell someone we care, to watch a sunset with the person we love the most?

Really, not so much time at all.  Last Sunday night was typical and I was scurrying around trying to get supper on the table.  Out of the corner of my eye, I began to catch a glimpse of something splendid working its way toward the horizon.  Then I remembered.  I remembered to stop.  I remembered how good it feels to notice.  I took stock of things in the kitchen and found a way to put everything on hold, announcing to Paul we had an appointment to keep down by the bay.  The meatballs would wait!

We watched a sunset.  We sat together on the bluff watching what God was doing, knowing God was watching us right back. It felt like the best place of all to be.

ITALIAN STYLE MEATBALLS
Makes 30 or more meatballs.  Plan on 3-4 per serving.
Ingredients:
3/4 pound ground beef
1/4 pound ground pork
1/4 pound ground veal
1/2 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
1/2 cup Panko bread crumbs
1 egg, lightly beaten
1 Tb. Italian seasoning
1 tsp. minced garlic
1/2 tsp. onion powder
1 tsp. salt
1 tsp. pepper
2 Tbs. olive oil

1.  Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
2.  Mix ingredients well by hand.
3.  Shape into golf-ball sized meatballs. Meatballs can be frozen at this point. Spread them out on a baking sheet uncovered and place in the freezer until frozen. Transfer to a bag or vacuum seal.
4.  Refrigerate approximately 15 minutes.


5.  Fry over medium high heat in olive oil until brown on the outside but still pink on the inside.
6.  Bake on a foil lined sheet for about 10 minutes.
7.  Wipe out skillet used to fry meatballs and add enough homemade tomato sauce or marinara for your desired dish.  Heat over medium heat.
8.  Return meatballs to the pan and simmer briefly in the sauce before serving with pasta or on a delicious meatball sub.  Meatballs simmered in tomato sauce can be frozen if not eaten.  This will make a quick meal on a night when you don't have time to cook!

No comments:

Post a Comment