Saturday, July 3, 2010

This Little Figgy Went to Market

I must confess that I have been unfaithful. I had been waiting so patiently for the local fig crop to come in. Why, just this past Saturday, I cornered the folks at Allegri Farm Market and DEMANDED to know when the first Baldwin County figs could be expected. I was urged to be patient a bit longer and expect them to arrive around the middle of July--such a very long time to wait. I have big plans for figs this year! Last year was going to be my inaugural run at making homemade fig preserves. The attempt was a complete and utter disaster. I will write more about that when I accomplish a successful run at the task later on this summer. I WILL not let this age old art beat me--I shall be victorious over the vat of boiling figs and sugar, rest assured.

But alas, during a recent visit to Publix, there in the produce section, flaunting themselves in the very first bin so I couldn't miss the subtle winks and posturing, were the black mission figs from California. How dare they flirt with me so blatantly, knowing I am counting the days and trying with all the self control I can muster to be faithful to the local crop. I looked surreptitiously all around me, and seeing no locavore sentinel standing close by to approve or disapprove of my actions, I lost all willpower and added them to my cart. I never looked back. I smiled all the way home, knowing what I had to do. Ripe and succulent figs would be making an early appearance at our house! I could hardly wait to get them home.

Figs are great prepared about a thousand different ways. And I intend to try all thousand over the next few weeks. One of my favorite things to do is toss them in a salad. Better yet, use them to make salad dressing AND toss some fresh figs in the salad! Give this a try:


Fresh Fig Vinaigrette
1 large, fresh ripe fig, quartered
1/4 tsp salt
3 tablespoons red wine vinegar
1 small shallot, quartered
1/3 cup olive oil

This recipe needs to be made in a small food processor or a blender. Pulse together the fig, salt, shallot and vinegar until combined. Add the olive oil in a slow and steady stream while the blender or food processor is running until all is emulsified. The resulting vinaigrette will look a bit like a strawberry milkshake.

For the Salad
For each individual serving, arrange one quartered fig over your choice of salad greens. Next, drizzle with the dressing. Goat cheese is wonderful sprinkled over the fig pieces, however, when I took my fresh goat cheese out of the refrigerator, it resembled gorgonzola. While a slight bluish green tint on gorgonzola is expected, it is most unexpected and unwelcome on goat cheese so that container went straight into the lovely receptacle under the sink awaiting such refrigerator surprises. So I went rambling in my refrigerator and found a wedge of nicely aged Italian Parmesan. As long as I am NOT eating local, I might as well go all the way. I added a few shavings of Parmesan to each salad and served! Toasted walnuts would be right at home on this salad, as well.

To assuage all guilt, I have rationalized this rendezvous with California figs as good practice for the local crop yet to come. Look for much more on figs later!







No comments:

Post a Comment